Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn storm

Sunday afternoon I was reading about how a nice, windy autumn storm was supposed to come in that night and the next day.  So of course, I just had to go to the coast and check it out myself. 

There were supposed to be wind gusts up to 50mph. 
So the kids and I took off and drove west this morning.

I love a good storm on the coast! Don't you?
With the wind and waves and the 
branches blown down onto the road.


The kids read books about storms and weather on the hour long drive there.  We pulled over at several viewpoints and felt the car being shaken by the wind.  I tried to take a few pictures before the wind took my breath away.

We walked down to the Cape Meares Lighthouse.  We discovered that Logan is not a fan of the wind, to say the least.  It freaked him out a bit to see the trees swaying so much.  He said the tree trunks were moving and that he never wanted to go to the coast in this kind of weather again.  I hope I haven't scarred him for life.  


The wind didn't seem to bother my courageous, little girl though.

When it was all said and done, it was an 8 hour field trip for us.  
I loved every bit of it.  I hope the kids enjoyed themselves too.
We went out to lunch together, went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, went in a lighthouse and saw some amazing weather.

The wind speed didn't reach 50mph though.  It only got to 42mph, with an average wind speed of 13.7mph.

Tomorrow, I think we'll just have a nice, quiet trip to the library. 

By the way, I changed my comments settings, so you should be able to comment on the blog again.  So please leave a comment and say hi.  We love sharing our days with you and would love to hear from you too.

No comments: