Sunday, August 4, 2013

All I Want For My Birthday Is...


 ... my two front teeth!  (Christmas is too far away, so we went with birthday, which is only a couple of months away).

Taylor woke up Friday morning and her wiggly tooth was gone!  Luckily we found the tooth in her bed.  She has no qualms about wiggling her teeth or pulling them out.  If she doesn't literally lose them first, she just brings them to me.  "Here Mom, I lost another tooth."  

She still has one last tooth that is very wiggly, but she's trying not to lose it until we're at the family reunion that starts tomorrow night.  

We've been packing and getting ready for the reunion, but yesterday afternoon we took a break to go explore a spot on the island we hadn't been to yet.


It's called Ebey's Landing.  It's the place where one of the original settler's, Jacob Ebey, homesteaded.  A replica of his home is still there.  

  A path leads to the house, past farmland, 

which ends abruptly...


because it runs into the sea.  

The path then turns sandy and climbs up the bluff.  

The view from the bluff.  

We watched several boats and planes go by as we walked along the bluff.  

We even saw something that was making a pretty big splash.  

Much bigger than a fish would make.  And what's that in the lower right-hand corner?  The tip of a dorsal fin?  

 Do you see it?  The kids are convinced it's an Orca whale.  So don't even try to tell them otherwise. 


Personally, I think Orca whales make even larger splashes than that and would have surfaced farther out of the water.  But what do I know? 


All I know is that we saw and heard a pair of somethings splashing a lot and it was really cool. 


 On the way back we passed some "amber waves of grain." 


We still have places we want to see, but we are quickly running out of time here.  I can't believe how fast these last months have flown by.  It's been so much fun getting to live in and explore this area. 




1 comment:

me/mom/NANA said...

I for one can't wait to see what discoveries you make around the Beaverton area next month! Keep us updated on your finds!