Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

We hope you all are having a wonderful day and that you're surrounded by loved ones (and not too stressed about it either)!

In preparation for our Thanksgiving meal, I did something I haven't done in years.  I made a chocolate pie.  Not just any chocolate pie either, it's the kind of pie my grandmother and mom would make when I was growing up.  It's quite special.  

I'll share the family recipe with you all though.  First you make a traditional crust.  I use the recipe out of my Betty Crocker cookbook that my grandma gave me when I got married.  Then you cook the crust and let cool.

After that you take a box of Instant Jello Chocolate Pudding and mix it per instructions and pour it into the pie crust.   Ta-da!  There you have it, the chocolate pie of my youth.  Simple, but tasty.  

The Thanksgiving Chocolate pie (and a mini apple pie for James).
 
I told the kids I'd make us the chocolate pie and then showed Taylor the finished product in the fridge last night.  It was bedtime, so as I walked her upstairs to her room, I told her all about how her great-grandma and nana used to make that same pie for me when I was her age.  

"Really!?!" she said, "Can I get the recipe?"

"Sure, I think I handle that,"  I answered.

"Then I can make it for my kids someday!"  she finished.
 
This morning the kids have been working on their Thankful Lists.   
 
Here are some of the things Logan is thankful for
(in no particular order)
Jesus, Nexus, boots, books, toys, money, cups, food, scissors, Taylor, myself, H2O, paper, electricity, pens, Daddy, Mommy, cars, Legos, birds, house, bed, USA, the human body, cords, pencils and ears.  
Taylor's list, (in no particular order):
Heavenly Father, Jesus, family, toilet paper, boots, Mom, Dad, books, toys, cars, Nexus, scissors, tape, butterflies, rainbows, US flag, pencils, clipboards, skeletal system and eyeballs.

I think they're off to a great start.  I'm thankful to have made it on their lists.  It's always nice to know someone is grateful for you!

Logan's is very interested in birds lately.  It started out as a Cub Scout thing, but he wants to continue to learn more.  We've checked out lots of books from the library and we've sprinkled bird seed in our backyard to attract birds.  

Logan uses some binoculars to do some birdwatching out our back window.  A few days after we put out bird seed we noticed lots of small birds out there.  Logan looked them up in his bird fieldguide and decided they are Oregon Race Sparrows.  He also observed that, "birds move a lot, that's why they're so hard to investigate!"

Well, I need to get back to our holiday festivities. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

By the way, I'm thankful for you!!! 



 
 

    

 
 

2 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

Hope you have/had a great holiday and were able to have some relaxing time at the beach.

Karen said...

That is really cute, I love their Thankful lists. Miss you guys!