Friday, May 17, 2013

Our Move

Day 1
Day 1... started months ago, but I won't go into all the cleaning and house hunting we've done.  I'll just talk about the first day of our move.  

Sidenote, my parents, known to the kids as Nana & Papa, drove about 7 hours to help us move.  They brought us a washer & dryer, which I'm sure we'll need during our "Year of Moving." 

They brought a trailer with them and helped us move all our big, heavy stuff into a storage unit.  They were a lifesaver.  Their help made all the difference.  It helped our move go so much more smoothly.


So, Day 1.  We got a rental truck, with a car carrier.  Then with the the help of my parents and a couple of James' friends (thank you, Cameron & Chris!) we loaded up.

It was a mad dash to the end.  Throwing stuff into boxes and filling the storage unit to capacity.  Not my neat, orderly way of doing things, but my way was taking too long.  :)



2010

Last time we moved was 3 years ago, but look how little the kids were.  Logan was 5 & 1/2 and Taylor was 3 & 1/2.  Feels like so long ago. 
 

Before we knew it, it was time to say good-bye to Forest Grove (for a few months, anyway).  

 Three years ago, saying "Hello" to Forest Grove. 

We loaded the Mazda 5 onto the car carrier and James drove the moving truck.  That left me driving the Miata and this is the view I had for about 7 hours (only the scenery changed a bit).  

The kids argued about who got to ride in the truck with Dad.  I guess a convertible loses its appeal when it's raining.  We were all relieved to have that drive over with.  

Our new place is on the left, behind the stairs.  We are on the ground level, thank goodness.  

 Logan saying "Welcome Home!"


 We unloaded a few things from the car that evening, like our suitcases.

 The only things we unloaded from the truck were the kids' mattresses... 

 and ours.  Then we zonked out.  And we didn't set an alarm for the next morning!

Day 2

Day 2 greeted us with clouds and cool weather, but it burned off and showed us some beautiful weather.  Much better for unloading a moving truck than the rain of the previous day.

 So we just hauled in box after box, after box.  This is a picture of the dining room and kitchen on Day 2.

 Here is the living/front room.  

The kitchen.  Not that big.  The apartment is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath place.  It is all one level though.  No stairs. 

We spent the entire day unloading, unpacking, cleaning and documenting (with pictures) little things about the apartment that we don't want to be charged for when we move out because we weren't the ones who did them.  We also returned the moving truck.  
The kids discovered a bunny who lives in the bushes behind our new place.  Taylor has named it, "Spot."   Don't ask me why.  She just thought it sounded like a good bunny name.  

Day 2 ended with a gorgeous sunset.  This is the view from our back deck.  

Day 3

Day 3 was errand running day.  We went grocery shopping, returned forms to the rental management co., and stuff like that.  We continued to clean and unpack a little as well.  

The kids & I found the public library.  We all got new library cards today.  We were so excited.  Taylor found all kinds of books on horses.  

Logan found a variety of books too, from hummingbirds to monster trucks. 

And I was absolutely thrilled to find, right there on the shelf, waiting for me, the book I was in the middle of reading in Forest Grove.  I wasn't even half way done, but had to return it due to our move.  I have it again now.  I'm so happy.  It was a successful day!  

By the way, my book is called, "Smart Parenting, Smarter Kids" by David Walsh.  It's a fasinating and very informative book about brain development in children and how to understand them better and help them to better learn.  

Well, I didn't take pictures of the place on Day 3 because, while much better, it's still not quite finished.  

Day 4 will be more organizing and putting things away.  Trying to find a place for everything and putting everything in it's place.  

Day 5 will be our first Sunday here.  We are going from 1pm church to 9am church.  Wish us luck.  We're excited to meet our new ward.

We're very excited to continue exploring and learning about our new town.  Our island!      
    

  

 




 

  

2 comments:

Mamie said...

I am having trouble reading this.... I felt so sad without you! Your place looks awesome and I can't wait to see everything you do. Miss you tons already

me/mom/NANA said...

You all seem to be adjusting to your new home just fine. That is great! We had lots of fun with you and I just wish we could have done more. Love spending time with the Grandkids no matter the reason. Enjoy your new ward tomorrow, can't wait to hear all about it!