Monday, October 7, 2013

Crater Lake

The other weekend, we went to Roseburg to visit family. 



We planned on hiking a new trail by Crater Lake.  It was still September and we were hoping to get one more hike in before the weather turned.


We were too late!  It had snowed early this year.  It was very cold and windy.  It was beautiful though, viewed from the warmth of our car.  

 Instead of making it to the hike, we made it to the Lodge.



The kids were excited to see snow and wanted to play in it.  They threw snowballs over the railing until their hands were numb.  




I didn't take any pictures inside the lodge.  It was kind of crowded, but I took this shot from the entry.  It's enormous inside.  It has large stone fireplaces that are perfect for warming numb little hands and noses.  



We enjoyed the view for a little while, all the while trying not to get blown over by the whipping wind.  On one occasion, I was trying to put on my 2nd coat, over my 1st coat, and it was literally ripped out of my hands by the wind.  I let out a quick, "Oh crap!" and ran after my sailing jacket.  Luckily, I got it back when it landed in a mud puddle. 



Needless to say, we did no hiking that day.  It was a beautiful drive up the canyon though and Crater Lake looked more amazing then ever with it's first layer of snow blanketing the hillsides.  

Can you believe how early and strong Autumn has come on this year?  Not so good for getting out and exercising, but perfect for curling up with a blanket and a good book, which is my favorite form of exercise anyway.  ;)







1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

WOW. I guess we weren't the only ones to get snow last week. Our snow didn't stick though - but it was cold and windy! Great pics. I haven't been to Crater Lake in a very very long time!