Friday, September 20, 2013

Jenkins Estate & Fanno Farmhouse


Ralph Jenkins and his wife, Belle Ainsworth Jenkins, had quite an estate built back in the early 1900's.  


The main house is a 7-bedroom structure modeled after old hunting lodges of England.  

It features a wrap around veranda porch.  (I'm so jealous).  It also boasts a huge stone fireplace.  We didn't really get to go into any of the buildings.   We have to make an appointment for that, which I keep meaning to do, along with a gazillion other things.  


Some of the other buildings on the estate include the "Carriage House,"  which now house John Deere tractors,


  the half buried Root Cellar, 


and a beautiful, old Gate House.  (Again, so jealous.  I'd love a home with such personality).  


This "Tea House" was said to be a favorite spot of Mrs. Jenkins to come and enjoy the outdoors.  I must say it did seem very serene.  (Of course, Mrs. Jenkins didn't have any children).


The Stables.  It's as big as the main house.  The stables also housed the staff who worked with the horses.  This was back in the days of horses and carriages, though cars were becoming more prominent. 


Inside the stables.  We just took a quick picture and ran back out.  Turns out we weren't really supposed to be in there, (shhh, don't tell anyone), I didn't stick around to make sure I got a clear picture.  


The Jenkins Estate is known for it's plants and trees and has it's own herb garden.


 The herbs are planted in groups and labeled "culinary," "medicinal," "industrial," and "aromatic."  We've never seen such a garden before. 


 I don't know the real name of these flowers, but I call them, "Grandma Flowers," because my grandma had them at her house.


 Logan found some Crocuses growing in a shady part of the grounds. 


And Taylor found a tree with a unique bark pattern.  During the original landscaping, many trees and plants were imported from all over the world.  Maybe this is one of those.  


The kids found a large cedar tree, 


while walking on one of the many graveled paths that wind around the grounds.

 They also found a pond near the Tea House, with real fish in it.


 They spent several minutes running from one side of the bridge to the other, following their fish.  


While the kids were chasing fish, I found the "Primrose Path," but we didn't take it.  


Instead, we headed to a playground in another part of the estate.  


 We all loved this park.  It's so much fun and has so much to do.


It's a little isolated, so it's not too busy. 


It also has a path surrounding it, so I can walk while the kids play.  Win, win.  

After having so much fun at Jenkins' Estate we thought we'd find another historical building in the area.  


Augustus Fanno was one of the original settlers of the area.  His land claim was for over 600 acres.  


It's another one of those beautiful old homes with such personality.  I'd love a house like this someday.  Oh, have I said that already.  Sorry, I didn't mean to repeat myself.  


Unfortunately I do have to repeat the part where we weren't able to go inside the house.  It's now a preschool.  (It makes me cringe to think of little preschoolers running around this house when I would take such good care of it).  


 I don't think I'd like my neighbors though.  


The Fanno Farmhouse is surrounded by city.  With no land, no park, no trails, no indoor tour, this place was disappointing.  (Still love the house though)!  














 

1 comment:

me/mom/NANA said...

We don't have anything this nice at the KOA, but WE are here! Great post and photos!