Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Library

Before I even talk about the library, I've just got to say that James has passed all his Board exams!!!  We just found out the results of the last one.  It's a relief to have them done.  We are only 4 months from graduation!  I can't believe it.  Another rotation has flown by.

So I should probably tell you about the library here, before we move again, though there's not a lot to tell.    


We came during our first week here, so excited to see a new library.  It looks huge!  

Inside is a beautifully painted border, featuring scenes from the area, like this fly fisherman and the Umpqua River,


a coastal scene and lighthouse,


a meadow and wildlife. 


We were coming from an enormous library in Beaverton, Oregon, that was open all the time, it seemed.  So we were a bit disappointed that our new library was only open 4 days a week.  I couldn't believe that it didn't even open until noon on Tuesdays and was only open for 4 hours on Saturdays!


 Of course, the kids still enjoy the library, no matter the hours or days they are open. 


And we love all libraries, no matter how small.  Although, it is a struggle when the library doesn't have any of the books in the series you are right in the middle of reading.  Poor Taylor's had to put her "Rainbow Fairy" book reading on hiatus.

Luckily the library has all the "Magic Tree House" books and she's been reading those.  She's read 42 of them and I think there's only 50 some books in that series.  
  

 Taylor also discovered some learning games on their computer. 


And this is where Logan discovered the "How to Train Your Dragon" books.  He loves them and has read all that the library has, that's 10 books.  This book series is the first one that Logan's really gotten into on his own and has kept him reading every chance he gets.  I'm so glad he's finally gotten into reading for the pure joy of reading.  

Now we need to find another series for him.  Any ideas?  

Well, happy reading everyone! 



4 comments:

Krista Lou Cook said...

Congrats to James' success! I love that you love libraries. I myself tend to forget about them. I know, silly me...

me/mom/NANA said...

There was NEVER a doubt that James would do great! We too are proud of him. You should find some great libraries on your next location. And museums too.

Libby said...

I can't leave your book recommendation request unanswered. :) My boys love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. Ben also likes the Mistmantle Chronicles--don't remember who they're by, we just found them at our new library. Peter recommends Percy Jackson (of course) and The Secret Series. They've just discovered the Origami Yoda series--not high quality literature, but I think it's clean (I hope!). I'll grill them for more ideas and let you know if we come up with anything else. :)

Joleane said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, Libby! I appreciate them. I don't know why, but finding books that Logan actually wants to read himself, has been difficult. He pours over his Lego Ninjago Encyclopedia & Lego Star Wars Dictionary, but it's not the same as reading a good book.
So, thanks very much for your input.