Friday, January 31, 2014

Blacklock Point

The other day, the stars aligned or something because it was 62 degree and sunny... on the coast... on a Saturday!  Weeeell, we just had to get a piece of that.  Thanks to a friend's blog, I'd just read about a hike on coast that looked beautiful.  


We drove about 15 minutes south of Bandon, Oregon to Blacklock Point trail head.  By the time we got there it was getting close to sunset, so we were on a time constraint from the get go.


There are the kids, hurrying along.  The trail was wide and scattered with pine needles and small twigs.  


Then suddenly we'd come to muddy sections.  Then we came upon mud puddles that covered the trail and were completely impassable.  I thought, "Oh, great!  Every time I choose a trail, it's a lousy one! Every. Single. Time."  I have a talent for choosing lousy hiking trails and the slowest line at the grocery store checkout. 


Luckily though, every time there was an impassable section there was a narrow side trail that led around it, as if this water/mud thing has been a problem for a long time.  There were even a couple of wooden walkways over some swampy areas.  

We hiked through this fairly flat, wooded area for about a mile, then came to a place that looked like it would lead to an open area.  We went that way and...


Whoa!  What a view!  We were up on a bluff, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. 

The sun was low in the sky, but the view had opened up into a wide expanse of the ocean.  I loved it!


 The wind picked up a little, out there in the open.  


The kids loved exploring along the coastline and wanted to find a way down to the beach.  Unfortunately we didn't have time for that. 

We just had enough time to fall in love with the spot, take a few pictures,


 promise ourselves we'd be back and head to the car.




I can't wait to explore the place again.  Thanks Krista, for sharing pictures about it on your blog.  I don't know if I ever would have discovered it on my own.  

 





 

1 comment:

me/mom/NANA said...

Looks like a fun day even with the wind. I can't wait to see what you discover next!