Saturday, October 8, 2011

Reading

Logan's been working on reading a particular book all summer...

well, I'm not sure how long, exactly, but it seems like a long time.  


It's the 93 page book, "Bionicle: Makuta's Revenge"  Sounds serious, huh?  It had lots of hard words in it too, like Makuta, and Toa Nuva, krana-kal, Wairuha, concentration and determination, which it took a lot of to finish this book.  


Reading the last page!

Logan's great at reading, but he doesn't enjoy it as much as, say, playing.  So we're very proud of him for sticking with this book and finishing it.  

Me: Logan! You just finished that whole book!!!! 

Logan: Whoo-hooo!!!!! (and lots of yelling and jumping around)

Way to go, Logan!  I hope you find more books that you will love to read.  Any suggestions on books, that an active 7-year-old boy won't be able to put down?  He probably doesn't want to see another Bionicle book for a very long time. 

He's already read the Henry and Mudge books.  I've read The Magic Tree House books to him; they didn't hold his interest long enough to finish them.  He did recently start a long-term reading project in reading the Book of Mormon, but that will be additional reading.

Taylor is working on a junior novelization (chapter book) called, "Barbie as the Princess & the Pauper."  She loves reading and is usually very willing to read to me whenever I ask.  

She's read 233 books this year, so far.  Mostly short, little books.  But she's also read a lot of level 2 books, even a couple of level 3 ones.  

Reading to my kids is the one thing I do well.  I may not feed them the healthiest food or give them an allowance or enough chores, but I love them and read to them.  I hope they will love reading too and be life-long readers and learners. 

No comments: