Sunday, March 25, 2012

M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I

Taylor is an author.  Her first book, a non-fiction about the Mississippi River.  

That was fun, teaching Taylor to say, M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.  She had trouble remembering how many S's to put in.  It ended up being M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.  Whoa, there!  Not so many S's, Missy. 

So without further ado, here's her book.   






















So what do you think?  I think her penmanship has improved since the first pages.  And her drawings too, for that matter.  She's having lots of fun with it.  She's been working on it for several days and is already planning her next book.  (It will be a fictional story).  

Logan even got excited and wanted to write a book of his own.  I let him pick any topic he wanted.  He chose "Weapons of War."  I'll share his book with you when he finishes it. 


Today, being Sunday, James fixed lunch after church.  This has just become our Sunday tradition.  Most of the time James won't even let me in the kitchen to help.  He tells me to go sit down.  I love it.


So today, James was fixing lunch, Taylor was setting the table and Logan was asked to empty the dishwasher.  He didn't want to and asked his dad, "Why doesn't Mom have to do anything?!?  She's just sitting on the couch looking up stuff on her iPad!"  (I happened to have just sat down and was looking up a recipe, but I guess that didn't matter to Logan).


Of course James had my back.  He reminded Logan that I'm constantly doing stuff around the house and taking care of everyone.  Thanks, Babe! 

It's also our Sunday tradition to talk about what we learned at church as we eat the nice hot meal James has made.  So I asked Taylor what she learned in Primary today and expected the same old answer of "I don't know" or "about Jesus."  Instead she says, "Some lady helped me pull my dress out of my underwear."  Oh, well, that's different.  Apparently, she'd walked all the way from the bathroom to the foyer with her dress stuck in her unders, until some lady took pity on her.  

I was baking brownies while we ate lunch and so by the time we were done eating the kitchen and dining room were smelling pretty good.  James said, "Something smells yummy and delicious."  Taylor piped up, "Me!"   You smell yummy and delicious?  

What a day!  I hope you've all had a marvelous Sunday as well.





 







 

2 comments:

Libby said...

Wow! Tell Taylor she is my new favorite author. ;) I used to live in Minneapolis and crossed the Mississippi River all the time. My sisters and I would try to say "Mississippi River Bridge" as many times as we could in the time it took to drive across. But Taylor's knowledge far outshines mine.

I can't wait to read Logan's book.

I love your Sunday lunch tradition. I'm hoping Jon reads this... (Well, and then that he gets a new calling so he can actually come home from church within a couple hours of church getting out. There would be downright mutiny if I told everyone lunch wasn't until 3 pm!)

I'm getting downright wordy here, but I also want to say that you totally deserve lots of downtime on the couch reading anything you want, and I hope you get lots more of it!

me/mom/NANA said...

I love Miss Taylor's first book. I can't wait for the movie to come out. Will she narrate it herself? I am guessing either the Willamette or Columbia River will play the part of the Mississippi. It was great talking to you all today and hearing the end of the book. Thanks Taylor.