Thursday, January 19, 2012

Swimming Lessons

The last time Logan was in swimming lessons, it was called, "Water Babies and he was nearly 2 years oldI was several months pregnant with Taylor and he hated the water.  He clung to me and I just walked around the pool, carrying him.  

Now he's 7 & 1/2 years old.  He's going to get baptized in 6 months.  I know my son.  He dislikes change and anything new and/or unfamiliar.  So I was starting to have visions of him, all dressed in white, standing at the entrance to the baptismal font, refusing to go into the water.  I can see it now, him, starting to panic, shaking his head furiously with his eyes wide.  "You want me to do what?  Put my head under the water!!! Are you crazy!?! Noooooooo!!!!"
 

So I enrolled him in swimming lessons, thinking it would take a few months to warm up the the idea of going completely under the water.  

I'm happy to report that it only took 3, half hour lessons before he was dunking himself all the way!  Him, by himself, not the teacher pushing his head under the water or anything like that.  


There he is, coming up out of the water, after going completely under!  I'm so proud of him!!!  He's doing so much better than I dared hoped for.


All these moves have their own special name.  I think this one is the "steamboat."  I don't know, but Logan could tell you.


He absolutely loves swimming lessons and going under the water.  He's always disappointed when it's NOT a swimming lesson day.

Taylor goes with me of course and we watch Logan "swim."  She constantly asks, "When is it my turn to have swimming lessons?"  "Will you sign me up to do swimming lessons?"  "Can I go to swimming lessons tomorrow?"  "When I'm in swimming lessons..."

Well, her turn is next.  She can hardly wait.  She's so excited, but it's hard to be patient.  (She didn't even know she wanted to take swimming lessons 3 weeks ago).

So, anyway, I just had to brag a little about Logan because I'm just so pleased (and relieved) that he's doing so well in the water.  I think we're going to have a baptism this summer after all! 

1 comment:

me/mom/NANA said...

Great job Logan...Papa and Nana are very proud of you as well. :0)))))