Sunday, February 26, 2012

Taylor's "Fraction" of a Dance Class

So, Taylor had her first ever dance class the other day!  


She was sooooo excited!  She's been waiting for "ballerina class" even longer then she'd been waiting for swimming lessons.  She got all dressed up in her little ballet outfit and I even put a ballerina bun in her hair.  She was all ready for class.  

We drove to the town where the class was being held, unloaded ourselves, found the room and waited.  And waited, and waited.  Finally I went and asked why there wasn't anyone around when class was supposed to have started 5 mins. ago. 

That's when they told me the class had been canceled.  I was mildly irritated.  Taylor was crushed.  "But I wanted to go to my ballet class!" she whispered in such a sad voice.  I told her we'd figure out something else.  

So here's what we're doing instead...
 
a Ballerina/Princess Tea Party!
(and you're all invited).

Taylor helped me with the invitations and told me who she wanted to invite.  We decided we'll watch a ballet video for kids that we can check out of the library.  When all the little girls are tired of that we'll have our tea party.

I'll take pictures and let you know how it turns out.

On a different note, the kids are learning about fractions right now and loving it.  They're discovering that fractions are everywhere.  I was baking cookies this afternoon.  Logan and Taylor took turns helping me.  Logan was excited to recognize fractions in the recipe, such as 1/2 cup of sugar.  

After the cookies were baked and the kids each had a couple, we saved a couple for James and put the rest away.  When there was only one cookie left, Taylor excitedly suggested that "Daddy could cut his cookie into fourths!  Then we could each have 1/4." 

James was so impressed by her cleverness that he followed her suggestion.  

The other night the kids had chicken nuggets for dinner and it turned into a discussion about fractions too.  The kids started cutting their food into fourths and making up problems for each other as they ate more and more fractions of their dinner. 

(Taylor's mouth is full)

I love it when the kids get a hold of an idea or concept and just run with it.  I love it when they have fun learning new things.  Should I tell them they are doing "Math?" 


On another topic, Logan told me the other day, "Mom, it's like there are two of you.  One is serious.  And I don't like that one very much, but the other one is funny and I like that one very much." 


Well... okay.  Thanks?  I think.  


I actually love it that the kids are so wonderfully open and honest.  It's great.  The days around here are never dull.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh, that's sad. The same thing happened to Emme with her ballet class when she was 3. I think the ballet tea party sounds like a great idea. :)

me/mom/NANA said...

Sorry to hear about the class as well. I am sure she will be quite the hostess.

Libby said...

I love Logan's take on the two yous. I think my kids would have a hard time narrowing me down to just two. ;)
I hope the ballerina tea party is a rousing success. Will you be serving fraction sandwiches? ;)