Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Roseburg Rotation Wrap-up



We've made it to our 4th and final rotation location.  We're getting settled and taking pictures of each room as it gets finished.  In the meantime I thought I'd just share a few final pictures from our last place, Roseburg.


We checked Logan's rain gauge on the day we moved.  It was right at 4 inches.  So between Feb. 1st & Feb. 20th it rained 4 inches here.  Pretty cool. 

I don't think I told you about the bird we found on our front porch during our December snow.  I saw it through the front door window and hurried Logan over to see it.  Logan likes birds.  I was surprised it stayed there so long.  Usually they flutter away as soon as the kids get a short glimpse of them, if not before.  


We've seen and heard many different kinds of birds at this house.  They even had a bird bath.  From the kitchen window we could watch all kinds of birds use it.  We saw robins, blue birds, finches, sparrows and others that we don't know.  

Anyway, back to the bird on the porch.  It didn't fly away.  I opened the front door.  It still didn't fly away.  I walked up to it.  It didn't fly away.  I knew something was wrong with it then.  

We guessed that it was just extremely cold.  So we decided to gather up some pine cones and placed them around the bird, to get it up off the cold snow.  We put them right up to it's feet and it still didn't fly away.  I was sure we were going to have a dead bird on our porch the next day.  

We left the bird alone and hoped for the best.  The next morning was the big test, to see if our pine cones cured the bird.  It seems to have worked.  The bird was gone and there were little bird footprints in the snow.  We were all much relieved for the bird.

Another time I went out onto the balcony of the master bedroom to take pictures.  I happened to look up as I was heading back in and saw this....
 

a fake owl, to keep the smaller birds away... or was it.  I quickly went back inside.  I closed the door behind me.  I peeked back outside.  I opened the door a crack.  I stuck my head out a little bit.  

Everytime I looked at it, it was looking back at me, but I never saw it move its head.  I screwed up my courage and took a few steps out onto the balcony.  It looked so real. 

Finally, I saw it move it's head just a little bit.  It was real!  Owls are fine in books and movies, but a real live, wild one is scary!  And intimidating. 

I hurried back in and shut the door behind me again, and went to tell the rest of the family.  They were all fascinated as well, and I think, at least a little bit scared too.  


This is another library that the kids & I went to once.  It was only about a 10-15 minute drive from our house.  


We went there to find a Magic Tree House book for Taylor,
 

but Logan also found this cute, little dragon.  


We miss our huge house, but we like our new little apartment too.  The apartment sure seems more manageable.  It has about 2,500 sq. ft. less to keep clean. 

Less than 3 months until graduation.  We can't wait.  I'm sure this rotation is going to fly by as well.  James has already had his first day on the "job" here.  He says it's going to be a good one.  He said that everyone he's met is really nice. 

So here we go again.  Another new town to explore. 
 



1 comment:

me/mom/NANA said...

First, thanks for the update. Second, glad to hear you are settling in and third, YES owls are scary! Enjoy your new home and library.