Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Making a list and checking it twice

I'm a list person.  I like writing to-do lists. I love the satisfaction I get from crossing out things I've done.  It makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing something.  

This whole homeschooling thing has been a lot of trial and error.  It went from a little too much structure to not enough.  So in an attempt to make sure that we are accomplishing things everyday, I've turned my kids into list makers too.  



They loved their lists.  They love crossing them out and seeing all they accomplished.  They liked knowing what was expected of them.  Logan finished his list by 11am and got to choose a movie.  

Taylor got caught up making necklaces and bracelets for most of the day, but she completed her list before dinner.  

I think we're going to stick with the lists for as long as they'll work. 

So short story, long.  When we went to the coast the other day, we went into the Cape Meares Lighthouse, which is also a gift shop.  Logan was freaking out over the wind and Taylor was freaking out over the bracelets.  They were only $1.50, so I told her she could pick one out as a souvenir. 

About the time she had it narrowed down to her favorite 5 or 6, I remembered that I didn't have my purse or wallet or anything with me.  It was back up in the car, which was quite a distance away.  

So I told her we had all the stuff at home to make our own jewelry.  



She got right to work this morning, laying out the pattern for her necklace.  (She was actually just re-stringing a necklace that had broke).  But doesn't she look so intent on what she's doing?


Look at those cute little handsies!  She strung the beads all by herself.  She We had so much fun. 

Wearing her "new" necklace.

She just wanted to make jewelry all day long.  She made 2 necklaces and 2 bracelets today.


Taylor's enthusiasm made Logan want to try it out too.  



So handsome!!!

They did a great job.  I hope I did just as good fastening the clasps on.  If, in the coming days I see hundreds of little beads all over the house, we'll know I failed. 

 

No comments: