Monday, September 5, 2011

Proof I Really Am Getting My Hands Dirty

There you have it, proof. I'm sticking to my new philosophy to not be afraid to get my hands dirty. To get out there and do all those science experiment we come across.

This one happened to be a bit of a failure, but that's okay. I planted a bean in a different cup of dirt every day, for 10 days. Then we dug them all up to see how they grew. In theory it should have been a great experiment to show the germination and root growth from a seed.

We could see the little root sprouting on the bean that had been planted 4 days ago. The bean planted 6 days ago had a root even smaller than day 4's. And the rest never sprouted at all. I don't know what I did wrong. One bean seems to have disappeared completely. I never found it. Or maybe I never planted it. I'm the opposite of a green thumb. (sigh)



Hey, I tried though. The kids told me they didn't care that all the beans didn't sprout. Taylor told me, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." (That's our saying this week. It makes me feel good that she remembered it and can apply it to a real life situation). I just said, "That's right, maybe we'll try this again sometime." I didn't want to say that I have no intention of doing it again, not anytime soon anyway. We're done with plants and moving on to oceans tomorrow. We excited for our fieldtrip to the coast on Saturday.

James had today off school for Labor Day, so we did too. We washed and waxed the car, did a little grocery shopping and watched a lot of the U.S. Open Tennis Championship. And then went to a little picnic type get together with some neighborhood friends. A good day, all in all.

I think I'm ready for Week 2!

No comments: