Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Responsibilities

Logan turned 7 this year.  He's going to be 8 before I know it.  To me, 8 years old is big deal.  He's growing up.  He's still my little boy, but he shouldn't be acting like a little boy all the time.  He is maturing in many ways.  In other ways... not so much.


I'm trying to give him more responsibilities and encourage him to do things for himself.  Sometimes it's hard, just because it's easier to do things myself.  I want him to have a strong work ethic,  unfortunately it's currently non-existent.  So, bring on the chores.  


First up, laundry.  He's been folding his own clothes for years, but not consistently.  Now he's helping with the wash too and always folding his own laundry.  


He complained at first, (see, this is where he needs to mature a bit) until he got to pour the soap in and everything.  How do I politely say, "Suck it up and be a man!"


He can hardly reach the controls, but we didn't let that stop us.  It's problem solving practice, right?  His solution for most problems is to just climb out of them.  

He's very good at keeping his room clean, but hates kitchen work. He likes helping me cook, but tries to weasel out of clean up. He's also in charge of keeping the entry way, with it's piles of shoes, neat and clean.  


What else should a 7 year old be doing?  What chores do your kids do?  How do you encourage/enforce responsibilty in your home?

I'm thinking cleaning the bathroom should be next. 

1 comment:

James said...

Good! Time he learned how to work!

:)