Friday, September 2, 2011

Realizations, Philosophies and Crayola

So we've been homeschooling for a whole week now and I've come to a big realization. There's NO WAY I'm ever going to fit in all that I want to teach the kids and show them and do with them. There's just not enough hours in the day. I can't even fit in all the subjects I want to teach, much less any extra curricular activities like, gymnastics, martial arts, ballet, swimming, soccer, baseball, piano, that I would love my children to experience. We didn't even crack our history book this week.

So my philosophy is: Relax and Be Flexible. I think having a go-with-the-flow attitude will help when it comes to teaching an almost 5 year old and a 7 year old. We don't have to learn everything this year or even during our school years. I want to instill a love of learning in my children that will last them a lifetime.

Art on Tuesday was supposed to be a collage. You know, cutting and pasting. My kids just wanted to use the new paints and paintbrushes though. So I got frustrated,
"That's not a collage!" (My new philosophy hadn't taken shape yet). We did end up painting and then making a collage. Hey, it works for Eric Carle, right.


I just asked that the kids paint a picture of something we've been learning about or about our saying of the week. So the kids painted flowers. Taylor said, "I'm going to make the roots purple!"


Logan replied, "Not me! I'm making mine realistic!" :)

My other philosophy is: Be as Hands-On as Possible. To do most of those little experiments and activities that are suggested, instead of just reading about them. Don't be afraid to get our hands dirty. I'm hoping it will help solidify concepts in their memories and be fun too. And I think they'll be more willing to participate if I say, "Hey, let's go look at flowers" as opposed to, "Hey, let's go do a worksheet." (Not that worksheets are bad. We'll be doing those as well. But you know what I mean).

So on Friday, we went to a greenhouse/nursery to look at all the flowers. Logan was pointing out parts of flowers and explaining the pollination process to the owner of the place, but she was great with the kids and asking them questions about what they were learning.

Taylor was loving all the colors and butterflies. The kids each got to pick out a flower to bring home. (They were having a really good sale, being the end of the season and all. Three plants for under $3). Anyway, the kids loved it and I hope the experience will stay with them for a long time, like another whole week or so.




I think I'll do a unit or topic in science and then a unit in history and back and forth that way, since I just can't make it all fit. The kids' personal reading time, where they read to me has suffered because we're too busy trying to fit in school subjects.

I found an article that talked about more than one study that had been done on the amount of actual learning time in schools. It talks about how so much time is spent coming and going to class, getting books out, putting books away, explaining assignments, turning in assignments, handing out papers, disciplining, etc. that the kids were being taught or involved in learning activities for only 14 mins. out of each 50 min. class! That equates to 84 mins. of actual learning in a typical school day! Less than an hour and a half of learning a day!

So I guess if we do any more than that at home, we can feel good. And if my children are enjoying themselves and learning and seeing and doing new things, they're going to be just fine. And a short school day may be just what Logan needs right now to change his attitude about school.

Logan doesn't even like to hear the word "school." He didn't enjoy it last year, to say the least. It was drudgery most days. It got progressively harder to get him to go as the school week went on and the year as well. So I'm trying hard not to say the "S" word at our house. Instead, we're "learning at home" or "doing math" or "studying nutrition," etc. He is proud to be in the 2nd grade though.

On Friday, the kids wrote in their "What I learned This Week" journal. I asked Logan what he liked best and reminded him of some of the stuff we did, "learned about plants, painted, collage, math, books and movies about plants, greenhouse, music, made cards." He thought for a minute and said his favorite part was... "All of it!" Go figure! That kid (shaking head).

When I asked Taylor what her favorite part of school was, she quickly said, "Painting!"

Speaking of painting, I just have to say, I LOVE CRAYOLA! and all their washable stuff. I'm the type of person who hates to deal with messes. If it's going to be messy than let's not do it. (I know, I know, I just got done saying my new philosophy was to not be afraid of getting my hands dirty. I'm trying really hard).

I once had a battle-of-the-wills with Taylor when she was 1-year-old, over who was going to feed her yogurt. She insisted on doing it herself. But I also insisted, on me feeding her, because I knew she would make a horrible mess.



It ended in a stalemate that time. She refused to eat the yogurt if she couldn't do it herself and I refused to let her. So she ate something else that day and I had one less mess to clean up.

Anyway, I digressed. I love these new Crayola paints we bought. They are like the paints kids use in school, nice and thick and bright colors too. Turns out they are LESS messy than watercolor paints in my opinion. The kids love them. And they're washable! They come off the brushes so easily. I wish I had discovered these paints years ago. I don't know anything about the company itself, but I do know that I love Crayola products. I'll pay the extra to get this brand.


No comments: